Sunday, October 11, 2009

Apples, apples everywhere

Today I "put up" my supply of organic apples.  If you know what "put up" means: you win!  This is an old school term that means to make a lot of one thing at a time and then can or freeze it to eat later.  I started with my apple peeler/corer/slicer from Pampered Chef or my "apple lathe" as my husband calls it.  You can peel/core and slice a dozen apples in about 10 minutes or less.  I like to do as many apples as possible at one time (up to 4 dozen if you're feeling crazy).

You can purchase an apple lathe like this at amazon.com for about $20.  If you want to go more green with this, don't peel the apples, just slice/dice them into 1/2 inch pieces.  The skins give the filling a nice color.

Organic Apple Filling
1 Dozen Organic Apples (mixed variety is the most fun)
1/2 C Organic Sugar
1 Tbsp Organic Cinnamon
1/3 C Water

Peel/core and slice your apples and put them all in a large pot with the water, sugar and cinnamon.  Boil and stir them a couple times on low for about 10 minutes or until they smell really good.  Spoon them into freezer baggies, push out the air and freeze for up to a year.

Uses:
When you crave appley goodness, lay a bag or 2 out the day of or in the fridge the night before.  I use them in pies and for apple crisp.  You can also add blueberries or fresh peaches to the apples right before baking for an even more delicious dessert!

No comments: